Monday, June 17, 2013

HAPPY LATE FATHERS DAY!!!! and its SNOWING!


So its snowing right now here in puerto natales! ha its weird to think its July, snow is much better then rain. HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!! For our papito we gave him a picture of him with our names on it haha, Hope it was a good one, I gave a talk for fathers day (haha funny cause I gave one on mothers day) and  had the chance to say how thankful I am for your example. One example was your service to others always thinking of how you can help people.

So I have been getting a lot more used to the training, it was a weird change from going to having latino companions for 6 months too a gringo that cant talk spanish. But this program is awesome and its amazing how much the lord helps us if we give all we got.
Ha it is definately a lot more draining, in all of our lessons I am talking almost the whole time, more then anything because the beginning bearing testimony or a couple sentences of a principle is all you can give. Also with the responsability and planning and all but it has already helped me develop myself as a missionary. Also you learn a lot of patience and just giving the animo up.

But we have had some awesome experiences already it is so sweet what you can do with pure faith and a desire to serve.

One of which is we entered a house of one of our investigators and we had in our plan to share the word of wisdom, I felt prompted to pass by 15min early and as we did they were smoking our front, i thought ohhh darn it they are smoking this maybe isnt the best time to teach it they will feel uncomfortable, I then realized that last time we passed by they were drinking coffee so I changed my mind and realized satan obviously doesnt want this to be taught so I am just goin to go for it, then another thing bad was we entered and the dad said, I had a dream or vision last night not sure but it was a voice saying to keep what I have and to not learn more, I then read him a part of the tree of life where the mist of darkness comes as well as the great and spacious building telling him that there is always opposition, but the real test will be reading, pondering, and praying to ask if they are true specifically as well as notice how you feel as you are doing it all, and I said you will never feel bad feelings as you read the book of mormon. THEN we began teaching the commandment and they just started laughing cause they know they are not living every one of the 5 things we cant consume. I began immediately explain why we follow this (because its a commandment to help bless us physically and spiritually)
I then told them the blessings, and he said, no no no I understand it makes sense it is a very good commandment but dont worry i dont have an addiction I just like drinking for special things, I then told him at that point of the commandment its a matter of obedience to the lord our god, sometimes we dont know why but we do them because they are commanded of god, and we can know they are of god by two ways, first by reading the bom and praying asking if its true, cause if its true everything else is true, as well as by testing it out like jesus said to the people (forgot scripture but in mateo o Juan) ha and then out of no where said, well you know what I dont believe in Jose smith, I think he was mistaken, and started talking so much random stuff, I knew more then anything he just didnt want to except this commandment, but I listened for 10 min then said, thanks for your thoughts I respect that, BUT now I want to tell you how I know Jose smith was a prophet of God, and that this church is the church of God. I then Bore my testimony of how I came to know these things and it was such a change of the spirit in the room, the spirit had a powerful presence, I then invited them to think ponder read the scriptures and ask god if this was a commandment, I then asked if they were willing to do that, they said yes, also saying to me, you have a lot of faith in your church dont you, and I said yes, but more then anything in our savior jesus christ. I then promised them they could know this was a commandment of God and asked if they wanted a blessing of comfort to help them recieve this answer (already knowing what blessings are) And I had the chance to give a blessing of comfort to the parents and their son, it was such a sweet spiritual experience, as we were leaving he said, hey im sorry I didnt mean those things we just need to know more to know the truth, I told him not to worry and thanked him for his honesty. Ha but dang my head hurt after that one, it was such a rollercoaster but sweet experience.

 I also was asked if I could prepare a lesson for our noche de hogar at the church and was inspired by what bishop mcmaster did one time for us with the 2 caramal apples at mission prep, I had elder bate and another kid from the branch come up and said it was a race, they had to eat the apple covered in manjar, whoever ate it first won. Elder Bate took a big bite (like I did when we did it with elder mcmaster) and realized after chewing a bit it was an onion, I then taught the principle of how satan wants to trick and blind us of the truth, and the only way to know is through the the gospel of jesus christ, restored to its fulness on the earth. It was a sweet family night.

Ha but this week went well, Its more responsability and things to do but Im learning so much and enjoying the mission a ton. Its amazing how much stuff we can learn on the mission.

But yep sounds like things are going great at home Im excited to see the picture of your baby!!!!

Stoked to have the house colder back home haha (not like ill be there much, more for you guys)
we are heading down to punta arenas tomorrow,
Oh if you guys can think of any fun games to do for a family night let me know
Take care this week, tell  everyone I said hey!

Chow chow!
Elder Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment